Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thursday...

Today is pretty much an ordinary day. It is Thursday, September 20. I realized this morning that it is my dad's birthday today - he would have been 82 years old. Hard to believe that he left this earth over 26 years ago. But, when I think of how much of life has changed since then, I suppose 26 years have definitely happened. Basically, memories of my dad are all good. He was just one of those guys that everyone seemed to like. He was quiet. His life pretty much revolved around his wife, kids, church and farming. He really liked animals. He really, really liked the grandchildren that he got to see. He didn't like to travel. It sucks that I only knew him for 17 years, but I realize, especially now that I've been around for awhile, 17 good years are a lot more than some people ever have. So, there is that.

I had a really nice dinner out the other day with my friend, Joan. She is getting ready to head to Washington D.C. and will take on the task of helping people stand up for those who have a hard time standing up for themselves. That is, without a doubt, an oversimplification of the task at hand, but for these purposes... Anyway, we weren't friends who spent large amounts of time together, but the conversations that we did have were good and I will miss knowing that she is there as a support for Dan and I. Her younger son and our son have been the best of friends since 7th grade, so we will hopefully always know about each others' families no matter where we all end up.

Dan and I have both seemed to be really tired lately. We have actually went to bed at 9:30 pm, which is a rare occasion for us. Neither one of us seem to be getting a real restful sleep. Not sure why. This Saturday we are going to try and go take in some nearby sights that we have never taken the time to see. I am looking forward to that.

It is time to go back to work - for what, I don't know. I have to say, I really dislike working here more and more...

Here's hoping for hope -
JAH

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog always reminds me of just how amazing you are. I can't even begin to imagine what my life would have been like if I would have lost dad at 17. And I can't imagine what it must be like to not have your mom or dad just a phone call, or even a short drive away. You are a very strong and coregous woman.

Knowing Grandma and based on what I have heard about your father, you were very blessed while they were here. Not a day goes by that I don't think about grandma. It sucks and I'm not sure what else to say. It's weird that in less than two months it's already been a year. I still dont' know how to deal with it most of the time.

That's probably enough sentimental-ness to last me the rest of the weekend. :)

Love always,
Carrie

P.S. Quit your job.

Anonymous said...

And one more thing. You're the best mom in the world. But for future reference:

1-Force your daughter to practice piano and don't let her quit.
2-Teach your children to spell (coregous? you know what i'm trying to say right? the opposite of the cowardly lion..courageous? idk).

...carrie jade