Monday, January 28, 2008

Family

This past few days, I've been thinking about families. When I think of my family at this point in my life, I think of my husband, Dan, and our children, Carrie and Isaac. I love my family very much and feel that I have been greatly blessed by their presence in my life. But, as is with most of us, we have another family as we move outward from our little circle. We have parents and, in my case, four brothers, their wives, their children, etc., etc. When I think of my parents, I have very fond memories of them, not really any bad ones, at least none that come to mind. My brothers are all older than I am and I really don't remember the two oldest ones living at our house. It is my understanding, and I will be happy to keep it that way, that the five of us get along. There have been times when, due to certain circumstances, we have been closer than at other times. At this point in our history, we aren't all together very much - and sometimes I wonder if we ever will be. It is hard then, when you know that one of them is suffering very much and they seem to live a million miles away and the phone conversations that you have never seem to do much good. These are the times that I wish we weren't so far apart and that we talked a lot more often and kept up on each others lives and where we are all at in them. I would assume the same is true in many families today. We get busy and we live our separate lives whether we live across the street or across the country. It is really sad when you realize that someone you used to eat supper with, watch TV with, argue with, joke with is somehow facing life on their own and those growing up days can't be recreated except in our memories. So I guess we all do what we can when we can and hope that in some small way it makes a difference and that we somehow all feel a connection even through the distance.

I had a telephone conversation with my oldest brother last week, which has probably happened more in the last year than in the previous ten. He recently purchased the farm that connects with the "home place". The family that used to farm it were good friends with our family for years. Every summer we would have a big picnic at our house and swim in the pool and have a great time. After my father died, we just didn't seem to do that so much anymore. But they were almost like a second family to me when I was growing up. When the mother died shortly after my mother, the farm was going up for auction. I guess the whole ordeal was pretty sad as none of the three kids are speaking anymore and one made quite the scene at the sale. My brother said the whole thing was quite embarrassing for everyone who was there. What happened? I know my mom was so worried that we would all be fighting over "stuff", which by the way, we have not been. I guess I hope we can all honor our parents by honoring each other. We may not be the Waltons, but we can all sit together around a table. Anyway, this whole thing made me feel bad, but I know the parents of these kids would be really happy to know that my brother is farming their land and my nephew will be living in their home.

I have been working on my hutch that my brother made me. I tried something a little different when I painted it. It was called "distressing". It is funny how we get something new and try to make it look old. I think it is turning out pretty good and I am anxious to get the china back in it to see how it all comes together. Pictures will be forthcoming.

Time for supper -
JAH

2 comments:

MR said...

I love living in the same town as 80% of my family. I just went to the barber shop for lunch and the guy getting out of my chair was my brother Jim. I told him his haircut looked "gay."

Nobody can say we don't communicate.

kalusiya hasanali said...

no thing