Monday, January 21, 2008

Questions Anyone?

Today is one of the Mondays that I do not have to work.It is really nice to have a four-day weekend. Friday, Dan and I were able to have a sort of "vacation" day - going to breakfast, to a movie, etc., and it was a great day. Saturday evening we went to a photography workshop, and although much of it was over my head, it did reinforce my desire to learn about what all our camera and a computer could do. I will be glad when it is a bit warmer outside, so we can go out on a photograph hunt and try out all of the different options. Sunday, Carrie surprised us at church and then went to lunch with us. It is always nice to get caught up on what her news and info is.

Today, I went to Bluffton and took my mother's engagement ring to a jewelry store to see if they could resize it for me. They thought they would have it done in two weeks. They will probably have to build up the band as my mom had already had it enlarged once. Then it was lunch with Dan and some time on the treadmill.

I also had some time to look ahead at the classes I am signed up for this semester. (This, in case you are wondering is where the title and graphic come in to play.) In reading the descriptions for the upcoming classes - I'm thinking to myself that these do not interest me too much. Now, I know that everyone has to take classes that don't interest them, but these are some of the main classes for my degree. I have had a few people ask me as of late, what I am going to school for, and today on the treadmill I came to the conclusion that I really don't know. I've always wanted to finish my Bachelor's Degree, but today I am beginning to question why. Don't get me wrong, I believe very strongly in the value of an education. But, I'm wondering at this point in my life, if it is what I should be doing. I don't know. I'm rambling. My dilemma comes in thinking about what sort of job I would want to do when I finish. And...I have no idea. When I think about the things I really enjoy doing, they do not seem like really "employable" things. What to do...what to do...

Hopeful though confused -
JAH

17 comments:

MR said...

Everyone will parrot the same thing to you about education being more important than oxygen. It just SOUNDS like the right thing to say. Truth is, I can't think of a thing I learned in college that applies to what I do. Unless you count that I took a programming course that taught me that I didn't want to be a programmer.

The most important thing I have learned, and it was self-taught, was to teach myself. After that everything was at my pace and had real world examples with it--which is how I learn. I can only stack one hypothetical idea on top of another hypothetical idea for so long before it topples over in my head.

I'm a strong proponent of self-taught, targetted learning. The best thing I had going for me was that I knew what I wanted to do.

I like books sooo much more than professing professors.

dan said...

I think it's one thing for someone who knows what they want to do, and doesn't need any further education to do it; but I am a firm believer in higher education not just for the book smarts, but simply the experience of it. And especially so for people who aren't sure what they want to do. I'm sure there are examples both ways, but I can think of many people who took a class they didn't want to take, and that ended up lighting a fire inside them that set them on a whole new adventure in life. And they never would have known had they not taken that step of faith.

I'm not saying you HAVE to keep going to school - it's entirely up to you. But as far as I'm concerned, I don't see anything wrong with simply knowing you don't want to make pizza's the rest of your life. Maybe a degree won't help, but I don't think it will hurt either. Besides, I think you've had a lot of positive experiences even in just a couple of classes (other than the diversity class).

But... whatever you decide will be just fine with me. :)

MR said...

oh sure... be SUPPORTIVE, like we didn't see THAT coming. :)

JAH said...

Thanks for the comments. I still don't know what I want to do, but I'll keep thinking...

Anonymous said...

For the most part, I feel the same way. My management class is just a review of Organization Comm at Huntington. Accounting is not somethign I ever want to do even if I kind of enjoy the class. But having a job that doesn't always require a lot of thinking (not always, sometimes i think i'll explode), it's nice to go to class and think and be challenged.

An MBA is by no means something that I really think I need. I dont' ever want an office type job - I know I have one but it's not typical. I dont' ever want to start a business or run one really. Maybe I should just go study sociology like I want to.

I don't know. So many questions here too....

MR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MR said...

This is the perfect time for the wisdom of Lloyd Dobler from Say Anything (as rendered by John Cusack):

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

Joan Baumgartner Brown said...

So . . this from somebody who would stay in school forever if I could just figure out how to make it pay (and didn't have to do anything else like work while I was going to school) . . . I think you know how do to a lot of really exceptional things and are interested in a lot of cool stuff and it seems like there's a unusual job in there somewhere. And school's not a bad way to taste a few different things (and also meet strange people who remind you how lucky you are to live with the person you live with and have friends who at least border on normal). Questions are good. Peace and love while you sort out the answers!

MR said...

border on normal?!

COUGH! COUGH! {{AHEM!!!}}

what am I, invisible?

dan said...

I just wanted to get the comments on this post into double digits, and to point out that Jane has an exceptional dog too (as dogs go). :)

MR said...

It wasn't technically in the double digits yet, because I deleted one after an egregious spelling error. But NOW it is.

You mean log dog? Well, I don't think anyone would refute that.

JAH said...

I thought maybe I should join in on this conversation since I started it. Thank you for all the insights and observations. I do appreciate them. I do have a very cool dog, although he follows far behind my cool husband, children and friends - most of whom I would consider normal. :)

MR said...

Look at this hole we dug... how are we going to get back to the top of the blog?

Oh, hang on, there's an elevator over here to the right...

dan said...

Well we can't stop on thirteen comments. That just wouldn't be right. So... here is fourteen.

Anonymous said...

and i don't like ending on even numbers to here's 15.

MR said...

Have you guys seen the trailer for Jane's next blog entry? It looks like it's going to be cool!

Oops... we're back on evens.

dan said...

Jane? Who's Jane?