Friday, January 10, 2014

A Healthy 2014

I suppose like most people, when a new year begins, I start to think about losing weight, exercising, etc. But this year, I hope to go beyond that and just feel healthy - spiritually, mentally and, yes, physically.

Although running was a pretty regular part of 2013, feeling an overall sense of health somewhat escaped me due to the circumstances of life. And, I suppose I should accept responsibility for the way I reacted to some of them. But, that is all history and a new year has begun.

From a physical aspect, I put back on way more weight than I wanted to after losing quite a bit in 2012. So, I have started on the New Lifestyle Diet. It is pretty similar to the one I did before, but it is way less expensive. It is a protein-based diet which seemed to work well for me so I'm going for it again. (Dan is joining me in this as well - or I'm joining him, either which way, we're doing it together.) Hopefully, since I only has about 1/3 of the total weight to lose, it won't take too long. The key this time is to then not go crazy when the goal is reached. Being on a diet is not the way I want to live, I just want to learn to make healthier eating a way of life. I admit, I like food. I like to eat. I like to cook. Learning that I can still do these things but do them healthier is my overall goal. Taking satisfaction in creating a good meal that is healthy is even more rewarding than just one that tastes good. In addition, exercise has got to get back into the routine of life. Last year, with Dan's help, I did my first half-marathon. I was happy to finish, but I know I could have done a lot better had I not had the additional weight and had trained more diligently. So, the walking has begun and hopefully the running is soon to follow. I will be much happier when the running can take place outside. (I am a cold-weather whimp.)

Then there is the mental. I have to say, I have never felt as negative as I did last year. To put honest, there were so many people I was hurt by. Granted, we all get hurt, but this seemed to be too much all at once. I know I could have handled it all better. I started to feel very sorry for myself. Life wasn't fair. This wasn't supposed to turn out this way. And on and on and on.... Maybe that is something I just had to go through, but I probably camped out there for way too long. And yes, I still visit there on a fairly regular basis. So, I'm working on it. I'm trying to concentrate on just how blessed I am in this life. I have an awesome husband whom I love dearly, wonderful kids, grandkids, family, friends. All of the basic necessities of life I have in abundance. These are the thoughts that need to occupy my mind and with God's help and the help of those mentioned above, I know it will come without as many trips to the "dark side" of my mind.

Finally, the spiritual. My life in this area has really pretty much sucked and I have no one to blame but myself. I admit I gave up. It just didn't seem worth it anymore. I really didn't vocalize that to many people, but I know that's what I did. I am so thankful that we have found a church. I know we may not be there forever, but for the time being it has seemed to be just what we needed. Case in point... Just received an email that the series beginning in February is going to be about developing a healthy lifestyle incorporating all of the above. I am really looking forward to the affirmation of my endeavors.

So, there you have it. Here's to a good year. And life.

2 comments:

dan said...

Ditto. Love ya!

diablo4shop said...

Between the wait of Batman: Arkham Soldier and modern Witcher 3 release statement providing as a indication of its own wait, this has been a challenging 7 days for 2014.This holidays certainly seems to be a slowly begin for the first twelve 30 days of the new system creation.But while the discharge routine is looking much slimmer than it once did, it's not entirely a clean.We might just need to take pleasure from the activities we get a little more than regular.
Diablo III Items

Diablo 3 Items For Sale