Sunday, January 05, 2014

Snowy Sunday - Thinking about the middle of the night call....

We are currently getting quite a bit of snow. It has been awhile since I remember getting this much snow. Things are being closed, called off and cancelled pretty much across the board. It is quite beautiful to look at, but I'm glad we are in for the day.

This past week, I was recalling a few conversations I've had with different people over the years about "the middle of the night call..."  Now usually, when your phone rings during the night - the news on the other end is probably not going to be good. There are those exceptions...a grandchild has arrived, or the engagement is official, etc., but for the most part, your heart starts beating really fast for a reason as your mind tries to become coherent enough to understand what the person on the other end of the call is trying to tell you.

The conversation just eluded to, was regarding who would you call at 2 a.m. if you needed to? If tragedy struck? If the relationship ended? If you weren't sure you could make it another day? How many of us have those kind of relationships? Would you be willing to be the friend that would receive that call?

Lots of questions I suppose and no easy answers. But yet, I think this is the kind of friend we are all called to be. Granted, some of us are blessed with spouses and children that we could call in an emergency or who would most likely already be with us, but what if they weren't? What if they were the emergency? Sadly to say, I'm not sure who I would call. Who I could call. I do have family - most of which are hours away who I could call, but who would not be able to be there in a matter of minutes. There were a few others that I thought I could call, but for one reason or another are no longer part of my life.

So, all of this to say...I want to work on that. I want to have friendships where I could be that person for someone or know of people that could be that person for me (or for us). I went to a conference years ago where the speaker was talking about friendships, specifically between women, but I think it works regardless of gender. She said that many friendships can survive long distances, some can even survive long absences, but those that can survive conflict are few and far between. I agree. And, I think that's wrong. Conflict is tiring. Confrontation is so uncomfortable and stressful. But what is the alternative?

Once again, I do have hope - not just for the new year, but in general. To me, as long as we are asking questions, there are possibilities. As we keep looking - there are things to be found. Unfortunately, some relationships have an expiration date and I am learning to accept that. But, to those in my life - thank you for sticking around. Call me anytime.  :)

No comments: