Sunday, April 15, 2007

Thinking


Today is Sunday and I have a few minutes before it is time to head over to church for worship practice. I am actually waiting for the timer to go off on my hair color, so thought I would write about a few things that I've been thinking about lately - I have gray hairs to prove it...

Talked with Dan the other night about what it means to be Christ-like. We were sharing at our Bible Study about what it means to be Christian - and it really is an interesting question when you think about it. Everyone has a different idea of what that means and maybe we make it way too hard because the word has taken on a life of its own. Maybe we should think more in terms of what a disciple is. That is really what we are told to be - followers or maybe "learners" of Christ. Dan and I discussed that too many of us want to be "God-like". We want to be the controllers because we think we know what is best for ourselves, others and the world.

If you stop to think about it - Christ could have taken control of things. I believe He was God incarnate and I think He had all of God's power at His disposal - and yet He didn't do it. He could have stopped fighting and hunger and disease and hatred and, well the list goes on and on. Instead He just loved and cared about people in their situations and told them of a better life that would ultimately come to them even though their life here on earth may really be awful from time to time. He told people not to worry about being the social and or religious police, but to share with others about the possibilities that come with helping those in need. He brought a little of heaven down to earth and wants us to strive to do the same thing in our world.

Those of few of the things I've been thinking about. The timer has went off - time to go. Hope all is well with everyone.

No comments: