Thursday, January 11, 2007

Freedom, Peace & Hope


Today I received the bags I ordered from Better Way Imports. I have to say, they are pretty cool. It was pretty humbling to take them out of the box and realize the journey that someone had been on that brought it into existence. This was the tag on the bag:

This Freeset Bag tells a story of one women's journey to freedom. She used to stand with 6000 other prostitutes in a small but well known area of North Calcutta. She didn't choose her profession; it chose her. Poverty does that. It robs people of their dignity and children of their innocence. She still lives in the same area, but instead of selling her body she makes Freeset Bags. Now she has choices, the choice to work decent hours for decent pay, to re-establish her dignity in her community and to learn to read and write. Now her daughter won't have to stand in the street selling her body like her mum used to. Freedom has been passed on to the next generation. By purchasing this Freeset Bag, you have become part of the story of freedom. Thank you!

It really kind of choked me up. It is hard to imagine that sewing bags for people could change your life this much. I only hope that these women can now go to bed with a peace in their heart and a hope for the future now that they are free from this life of basic slavery. Slavery to their circumstance and to those who will use it to their own advantage.

I also ordered the documentary about their organization. I'll let you know how it is...

I wish for all of you the freedom, peace and hope that Christ can bring. I hope that all of us who claim His Name will be his agent for those in need.

JAH

1 comment:

Joan Baumgartner Brown said...

Jane - I visited this site and thought these bags - and this story - was incredible. Might be a good addition to our glocal project sometime. Wouldn't it be great if we could get some big company to start using these for their "goody bags" at conferences, etc? I think we are going to host a seminar on poverty later this year-- these would be perfect. Thanks for sharing your discovery!