Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Random Thoughts

Today my daughter stopped by work and I happened to ask her if there was anything she might want from my mom's house before it got sent to an auction house or some sort of sale. She named off a few pieces of furniture and said that she would like to have them if no one else in the family wanted them because she didn't want a stranger to buy them and have them. I had not really thought about the "stuff" at mom's in awhile, but suddenly realized that it would kind of bother me knowing that someone was using the chair we read stories in or using her and dad's bedroom set or sitting at our kitchen table. I momentarily tried convincing myself that some other family might be able to enjoy them like we did, but it didn't seem to last very long before I got really sad and told Dan that I really didn't want anyone else using their stuff. Now, realizing that we can't have a house full of stuff, I'm not really sure what to do about it. So, I guess that will be something to think about.

Someone I work with is getting a divorce. It all came on very suddenly for her and I feel quite bad about the whole thing. It is very interesting to me, however, how freely some people will give advice. When she asks my opinion, I'm almost afraid to say anything. I don't know her very well on a personal level and don't know her husband at all. My only great words of wisdom were not to rush in to anything and to keep in mind that they would both probably be saying a lot of exaggerated things that they don't really mean. (My mom always told me that no one really knows what goes on behind closed doors, so I decided it wasn't a real good idea to give advice to someone when I was only hearing one side of a story that probably has several.) So, I guess I will try to listen and be encouraging but not make any drastic suggestions like I'm hearing so many people make.

Today I haven't felt the best and have basically been laying on the couch since arriving home from work. That wasn't really my plan for today, but Dan tells me we don't always get to make the plan. So, I guess I will go with it and have this be my big accomplishment for the day.

On a muscial note, I bought I CD last night by Norah Jones. I have only listened to it once and am not exactly sure how to describe, but I think I like it pretty well.

On that random thought, I will say goodbye...

JAH

No comments: